Beverly W. Pattishall (1916-2002)
Family members include his wife, Dorothy (née Daniels) Pattishall, whom he married June 24, 1977, the late Nancy Hansen Pattishall; children, the late Margaret Arthur; Leslie H. Pattishall of Victoria, British Columbia; B. Wyckliffe (Libby) Pattishall, Jr. of Santa Fe, New Mexico; Paige (Paul) Pattishall Watt of Charlottesville, Virginia; and Woodfin (Debra) Pattishall of Norwood, Colorado; grandchildren Bruce Arthur, Soleil Pattishall, the late Kelly Watt and Morgan Watt; great-grandchildren Richard and William Arthur; and stepdaughter Lyssa (Philippi) Piette of Three Oaks, Michigan.
Born on May 23, 1916 in Atlanta, Georgia, Mr. Pattishall graduated from Northwestern University in 1938 and the University of Virginia School of Law in 1941. Following graduation, he served to the rank of Lieutenant-Commander in the United States Navy and participated in both the Pacific and the European theatres of action during World War II. He commanded the destroyer escort U.S.S Osmus and the U.S.S. PC1129. He continued to serve in the United States Naval Reserve until he retired as Commander.
In 1946, he returned to Chicago where he began his long and impressive legal career with the law firm of Rogers & Woodson (now known as Pattishall, McAuliffe, Newbury, Hilliard & Geraldson.) He served as a United States Government Delegate to the Diplomatic Conferences on the International Trademark Registration Treaty in Geneva, Switzerland and Vienna, Austria between 1970 and 1973. He also served as a member of the United States Delegation to the Geneva Conference on Industrial Property and Consumer Protection in 1978 and as a United States Delegate to the Diplomatic Conference on the revision of the Paris Convention which was held in Nairobi, Kenya in 1981.
In addition to his other professional accomplishments, Mr. Pattishall made a significant impact on the teaching of law. He served as a founding member of the Adjunct Faculty for the IP-LLM program at John Marshall Law School. In 1966, he began his service as Adjunct Professor of Trademark, Trade Identity and Unfair Trade Practices Law at Northwestern University School of Law, his alma mater, where he continued to teach Trademark Law until his retirement. He co-authored Trademarks and Unfair Competition (LexisNexis Publishing, 5th edition, 2002) and Trademarks and Unfair Competition Deskbook (LexisNexis Publishing 2001), which have become essential reference books for law students, as well as those practicing intellectual property law. In 1997, the “Pattishall Medal for Teaching Excellence” was established through the Brand Names Education Foundation to recognize educators in the business and legal fields for outstanding instruction in the trademark and trade identity field. In 2001, the first “Beverly W. Pattishall Distinguished Lecture in Trademark Law” was held at The John Marshall Law School.
Mr. Pattishall devoted much of his time to professional and charitable organizations. He served as a Director of the Juvenile Protective Association of Chicago from 1946-1979, as their President from 1961-1963 and remained an Honorary Director. He was a Fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers and served as a member of its Board of Regents from 1979-1983. From 1955-1957, he served as President of the International Patent and Trademark Association and remained a member of its Executive Committee. He was a Member of Honour of the Association Internationale pour la Protection de la Propriété Industrielle and was the Illinois Representative to the Selden Society of London. He was also a member of the American Bar Association and served as the Chairman of the Section of Patent, Trademark and Copyright Law (now called the Intellectual Property Law Section) in 1963-1964. He was a Director of The Chicago Bar Foundation from 1977-1983 and a Director of the U.S. Trademark Association (now known as the International Trademark Association) from 1963-1965. He was also a member of the Economic Club of Chicago, Legal Club of Chicago, Lile Society, and served as President of the Law Club of Chicago during 1982 and 1983.